Sunday, March 24, 2013

Different but Equally Great


Exotic trips to Thailand, snorkeling in the beautiful waters of the Great Barrier Reef, and wild safaris in Africa were only a few of the incredible places my cousin Anisha had traveled, before she was ten years old. Similar to Sedaris and Hugh, I used to believe Anisha had the dream childhood. She had to move to India for my aunt’s job and there she had a maid, a driver, and a personal chef just like Hugh. Who wouldn’t want that? Sedaris writes, “When I’m told such stories, it’s all I can do to hold back my feelings of jealousy.” I connected with Sedaris, because many times I have envied my cousin Anisha.  To have the opportunity to experience a new culture on the other side of the world was something I had always dreamed of. Anisha could probably check ten things off my bucket list that she did before she even turned eight! What I failed to realize when I was younger was that she didn’t have the perfect childhood. I forgot how hard it must have been for a little girl to move half way across the world to India. She had to leave behind her family, friends, and the American lifestyle. Also, my Aunt is one of the directors at General Motors, which meant she couldn’t spend much time at home and she still had to travel. Sedaris mentions, “Hugh was sent back to Ethiopia to live with a beer enthusiast his father met at a cocktail party.” Hugh didn’t have the family love and support he needed. Sometimes we fail to realize how great our childhood is when we compare it to others. I feel blessed to know my mom was always there for me and still is. I also admire Anisha for how independent she has become and my aunt for how hardworking and determined she is. I love them both to death. Soon Anisha and I will be relaxing on the beach, snorkeling in the gorgeous waters of Cancun, and soaking up the sun. Our childhoods are both different but great in many ways, and I wouldn’t change that for the world. 

1 comment:

  1. Good post! I agree that it is important to realize sometimes not everything that seems great and wonderful is in reality as wonderful as it seems to be.

    ReplyDelete