Sunday, December 9, 2012

Proud to be an Individual

As a student of Troy High, I think it becomes hard to recognize how diverse our school is compared to others. After all, we are surrounded by so many unique cultures every day. Just looking around my classes I am able to hear and see the diversity of many different races: Indians, African Americans, Albanians, Whites, Italians, Asians, and many more. Many schools all across the United States are not as lucky to have such an exemplary diverse student population. The great thing about Troy High is that nobody is afraid to hide their race or who they truly are. We have talent shows, different clubs, teams, and events to express an individual's uniqueness, and nobody is afraid to let their culture shine. 


In "How it Feels to be Colored Me," Zora Neale Hurston expresses how even though she is African American and may feel separated at times from whites, she is still joyful and proud of her individuality. She illustrates the time she was listening to a jazz orchestra, "I dance wildly inside myself; I yell within, I whoop; I shake my assegai above my head, I hurl it true to the mark yeeeeooww!" (864). Zora's true thoughts are displayed when she eyes her white friend sitting motionless, causing her to realize the distinct separation of their cultures. The jazz had affected Zora so much more. Similar to the poem "The Weary Blues," written by Langston Hughes, jazz music had such a big impact expressing the varied emotions of African Americans. The jazz Zora listened to made her feel proud and energetic, while Hughes gave off a more sympathetic and depressing tone. 

Also shown in the poem "I, too," Hughes writes, "Nobody'll dare Say to me, "Eat in the kitchen," Then. Besides, They'll see how beautiful I am And be ashamed-- I too, am America." The whites discrimination to Hughes doesn't weaken his view of himself, he still is beautiful. Like students at Troy High, Zora and Hughes don't frown upon who they are because of their color. Zora writes, "At certain times I have no race, I am me" (864). Both authors are proud of her individuality and nobody can change that. 

2 comments:

  1. nice post! i liked the strong message of individualism you portrayed as well as the quote from "I too, am America"; that is one of my favorite lines in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you related those pieces to Troy High since all of us can relate to that. We definitely should celebrate the different cultures that we are surrounded by every day and try to learn from them.

    ReplyDelete