Sunday, November 25, 2012

Secrets

A special blog I didn't know had even existed until a couple weeks ago was PostSecret. When we watched the video about it in class, the whole concept behind this blog really spoke to me. I found it incredible how so many people had the courage and wanted to reveal their secrets to an audience of more than a million. Many of the secrets broke my heart to read, but as Thanksgiving came it made me very thankful that I didn't have to hide the secrets many others do and it made me blessed for the life I have. Reading this blog has made me appreciate everything I have more. By just looking at somebody they may seem as happy and joyful as can be, but you may never know the secrets that are slowly deteriorating them.



 As we wrapped up and finished the Scarlet Letter we saw the effect that a secret can have on one. Dimmesdale passed away and grew sick because of the burden he felt by trying to hide that he committed adultery with Hester. His secret was too much for him to hold onto any longer. Also in the poem "The History Teacher," the teacher tries to hide the truth about past events and how they actually happened. By making historical events seem innocent, his secret only impacts himself. The kids on the playground are just as harmful anyway not knowing the truth about world events. This shows that maybe some secrets can make you feel better about yourself, just like the history teacher feeling proud and innocent lying to the children.Secrets can make you feel joyful, trapped, angry, depressed, or even happy, but it is up to you to be the judge of that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment